Commercial Real Estate
Category: Commercial Real Estate
By Lou Phelps, Savannah Business Journal
January 3, 2017 – The Jewish Education Alliance, operator of the JEA Center at 51111 Abercorn Street, will be on the agenda of the Savannah City Council Thurs. Jan. 5 at 2:00 p.m., seeing a zoning change.
Represented by Atty. Harold Yellin, the JEA is requesting to rezone 5111 Abercorn Street from the current R-M-25 (Multifamily, 25 units per acre) zoning classification to an O-I (Office Institutional) zoning classification.
The Jewish Educational Alliance has been in continuous operation for more than 60 years as a non-conforming use, according to Yellin.
“Many of the activities associated with the civic center function (including physical therapy, theatrical performances and large-scale commercial day care) are not permitted within a multifamily residential zoning district, but have been operated as nonconforming uses on this site without negative impact for decades,” according to the City staff’s report to the Council in Thursday’s Agenda packet.
The proposed map amendment will bring the uses of the property into compliance with the zoning on the property as shown on the Future Land Use Map, and will allow for modest expansion of the uses.
City Staff and the MPC recommend approval of the request to rezone 5111 Abercorn Street from the current R-M-25 (Multifamily, 25 units per acre) classification to an O-I (Office-Institutional) classification based on the previously stated findings.
Overall Rating (0)
- Mar. 2 - The Ronald McDonald House of the Coastal Empire Cornhole Tournament Set For March 11
- Dec. 2 - Chamber and LaunchSAVANNAH to host Holiday Oyster Roast Dec. 15
- Oct. 31 - Chamber Announces Rescheduled Bands in the Ballpark Event for Nov. 17
- Oct. 31 - 25th Anniversary Enmarket Savannah Bridge Run to be held Dec. 3
- Oct. 19 - SDRA to host Savannah Urbanism Series: Building Beauty in the Urban Environment on Oct. 20