South Carolina /Lowcountry News
Savannah Business Journal Staff Report
July 1, 2016 - The third annual South Carolina Aerospace Conference and Expo will welcome two distinguished keynote speakers to its opening day – William “Bill” Garvey, Editor-in-Chief of Business and Commercial Aviation, and Winston Scott, former NASA astronaut and Senior Vice President for External Relations and Economic Development at the Florida Institute of Technology.
The South Carolina Aerospace Conference and Expo will take place at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center in Columbia, S.C. on Aug. 24-25, 2016.
The conference is organized by the South Carolina Council on Competitiveness, the McNair Center for Aerospace Innovation and Research at the University of South Carolina, the South Carolina Department of Commerce, the South Carolina Aeronautics Commission and the South Carolina Aviation Association.
Garvey will deliver the opening keynote address on the August 24. Immediately prior to his appointment as Editor-in-Chief of Business & Commercial Aviation in 2000, he served as Managing Editor of Aviation Week Television where he wrote and appeared in more than 100 videos. Before that he was the top editor for both Flying and Professional Pilot magazines, as well as a member of the senior editorial staff at Reader's Digest. He also managed communications for FlightSafety International. He has also authored or co-authored three aviation books, was an essayist for National Public Radio, wrote aviation documentaries for The Discovery Channel, and has written for numerous publications including The New York Times, Smithsonian Air & Space, Popular Mechanics and The Associated Press, among others.
Scott will deliver the keynote address at the annual Aerospace Industry Dinner Weds. evening. The dinner is included in the registration fee for all conference attendees.
Scott’s journey to the stars as a NASA astronaut is a testament to the power of perseverance and vision. Raised in Miami, his largely segregated education provided little access to resources, but his own determination combined with the dedication of his teachers set him on an inspiring path of achievement.
In 1992, he began an accomplished career as an astronaut with NASA. He served as a mission specialist on the STS-72 Endeavour mission in 1996 and both the STS-87 Columbia mission and flight in 1997. Before joining NASA, Scott earned a distinguished record of service as a Captain in the United States Navy. He is the former Executive Director of the Florida Space Authority, and has also served as Vice President and deputy general manager of the NASA engineering and science contract for the space shuttle, International Space Station and project Constellation.
The third annual South Carolina Aerospace Conference and will connect industry, academia and government to showcase South Carolina’s rapidly growing aerospace cluster. This year’s event will offer two program options for attendees: an industry track including a business-to-business networking event and presentations from industry, higher education and government leaders; and a research track featuring the technical symposium ACE’16 and the Advance Design Concepts and Practice Workshop (ADCP), which is making its US debut this year. ADCP has previously been held in Europe and China.
Online registration and sponsorship information for the conference may be found at http://saeu.sc.edu/reg/aero/index.php. The updated agenda may be found at http://saeu.sc.edu/reg/aero/conference.php.
- May 20 - Sunbelt Rentals, Inc. Expanding Operations in York County with $8 mil investment
- May 20 - Blackbaud to expand headquarters in Berkeley County; Will create 300 jobs
- May 12 - Southeast Frozen Foods expanding Calhoun County ops with additional $6 million investment, 30 jobs
- May 12 - Viva Holdings Group, Inc. launching operations In Berkeley County with $28 mil and 200 jobs investment
- May 11 - thyssenkrupp Industrial Services coming to Charleston for new Lowcountry facility
- Jan. 28 – S.C. lands big fish: Rite Aid selects Spartanburg for new distribution center; will create nearly 600 new jobs
- Jan. 28 - Gov. Nikki Haley and state officials tout Pplan to make South Carolina competitive
- Jan. 13 – A Republican party leader, official portrait of Gov. Nikki Haley unveiled
- July 25 - Palmetto Dunes to host three USTA SC Championships Through 2016
- Dec. 18 - Visitor Center to Host Holiday Open House
- Nov. 27 - Beaufort Regional Chamber Supports Small Business Saturday
- Nov. 19 - Haig Point Residents Use Sports to Come Together for Local Charity Causes
- Nov. 11 - Kate Spade New York Now Open at Tanger Outlet
- Nov. 7 - HHS Awards $1,557,370 in Affordable Care Act Funds to South Carolina Health Centers to Expand Access to Care
- Nov. 6 - Sea Pines Resort Announces Dredging of Harbour Town Yacht Basin
- July 13 - Savannah Jaycees 2016 Charity Date Night Auction will be held at Club One Aug. 4
- June 24 - Savannah Jaycees Will Host Social to Introduce Charity Date Night Auction Participants on June 30
- June 13 - The 2016 Business Expo & Awards Banquet will take place this Thursday, June 16
- June 7 - Savannah Jaycees Clean Tybee Park and Host “Day at the Park” June 11
- May 19 - Savannah Area Chamber to Host Military Appreciation Luncheon May 26