South Carolina /Lowcountry News
Coastal Empire News Staff Report
January 28, 2015 - Rite Aid Corporation announced today that the company plans to build a 900,000 sq. ft. distribution center in Spartanburg, S.C. The new distribution center is expected to employ nearly 600 people after it becomes fully operational and will support the inventory and fulfillment needs of approximately 1,000 Rite Aid stores in the southeastern United States.
The Spartanburg distribution center, a $90 million project, will be Rite Aid’s first new distribution facility in 15 years.
In April 2014, after a comprehensive review of its supply chain and logistics network, Rite Aid announced its plan to consolidate three of its existing distribution centers, located in Tuscaloosa, Ala.; Charlotte, N.C.; and Poca, W.Va., into one new facility, as part of its ongoing efforts to improve operating efficiency across the company. The new site’s convenient location along the I-85 corridor offers easy access to markets across the Southeast.
Information on employment opportunities at Rite Aid’s new facility in Spartanburg will be made available in the second half of 2015. Currently, Rite Aid employs nearly 1,400 and operates 95 stores in South Carolina.
The Coordinating Council for Economic Development approved job development credits related to the project. Additionally, the South Carolina Power Team, in conjunction with Broad River Electric Cooperative, committed a $520,000 grant for infrastructure in support of the project.
According to Rite Aid Chairman and CEO John Standley, “Spartanburg is an ideal location for our new distribution center. We thank the state of South Carolina for their cooperation and support during our site selection process, and we look forward to breaking ground on our new facility, which will help us to further optimize our supply chain and better serve our stores and customers across the Southeast.”
“Having such a successful, nationally recognized company, like Rite Aid, pick South Carolina for a major distribution operation speaks to the logistics advantages and business-friendly reputation our state has earned,” added Secretary of Commerce Bobby Hitt.
“The Upstate’s proximity to metro markets makes it an ideal location for distribution operations. The Inland Port in Greer experienced strong volumes in its first year, thanks in part to its strategic location in this growing region. We welcome Rite Aid to the Upstate,” stated South Carolina Ports Authority President and CEO Jim Newsome
Rite Aid Corporation (NYSE: RAD) is one of the nation's leading drugstore chains with nearly 4,600 stores in 31 states and the District of Columbia and fiscal 2014 annual revenues of $25.5 billion.
© Copyright 2015 Coastal Empire news, publisher of SavannahBusinessJournal.com and DublinBusinessJournal.com. All Rights Reserved. www.CoastalEmpireNews.com.
- Jan. 28 - Gov. Nikki Haley and state officials tout Pplan to make South Carolina competitive
- Jan. 13 – A Republican party leader, official portrait of Gov. Nikki Haley unveiled
- July 25 - Palmetto Dunes to host three USTA SC Championships Through 2016
- Dec. 18 - Visitor Center to Host Holiday Open House
- Nov. 27 - Beaufort Regional Chamber Supports Small Business Saturday
- Nov. 19 - Haig Point Residents Use Sports to Come Together for Local Charity Causes
- Nov. 11 - Kate Spade New York Now Open at Tanger Outlet
- Nov. 7 - HHS Awards $1,557,370 in Affordable Care Act Funds to South Carolina Health Centers to Expand Access to Care
- Nov. 6 - Sea Pines Resort Announces Dredging of Harbour Town Yacht Basin
- Oct. 29 - SC Gov. Haley to Speak at State of the Region Luncheon
- Oct 25 - Hilton Head Health Wins a Record 10 Awards in the 2013 SpaFinder Readers’ Choice Awards
- Oct. 4 - A Revealing Look at Hilton Head Island’s Legacy and Future
- Oct. 2 - Corporate Meetings Find Success in the Sand, Combining Business with Family Pleasure at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- Sept. 30 - TCL, Beaufort Regional Chamber Partners With BizBuilderSC to Offer 12-session Entrepreneur Workshop
- Sept. 23 - Upcoming Course: Sequestration - Understanding the Economic Impact
- Apr. 25 - Technology Expert Keith Fletcher to Speak at Savannah SCORE April Luncheon
- Apr. 8 - Exhibit at the Savannah Area Chamber’s 2016 Business Expo on June 16
- Mar. 7 - Savannah Area Chamber’s Oyster Roast Business Connection set for March 10
- Jan. 7 - Chamber to Host Hockey Classic Business Connection Jan. 14
- Jan. 4 - Southern Women's Show Returns to Savannah Feb. 26-28