Effingham / Statesboro News
Category: Statesboro / Effingham Area News
Savannah Business Journal Staff Report
August 4, 2015 - Col. Rainer Gomez, an Effingham County resident, has taken command of the 165th Airlift Wing, Georgia Air National Guard. Col. Gomez’s new official position is Wing Commander of the 165th Airlift Wing.
“It is a privilege to be given this responsibility,” said Gomez. “This is considered to be one of the top flying units in the country and it is an honor to be selected to lead his organization.”
The 165th Airlift Wing is comprised of more than 1,150 men and women who support, maintain and fly the unit’s eight C-130H Hercules aircraft. The mission of the 165th Airlift Wing is to provide strategic and tactical airlift of personnel, equipment and supplies throughout the global sphere. The Wing is also subject to be called for assistance during state emergencies to provide food, medical supplies, equipment, and trained personnel, not only within our state and nation, but in foreign countries as well.
Col. Gomez has served as the vice wing commander since 2012. In addition, he has deployed numerous times in support of the Global War on Terror as a C-130H navigator.
He graduated from The Citadel in 1983 where he received his commission through ROTC.
Col. Gomez lives in Effingham with his wife Jan Gomez.
And, Lt. Col. James P. Marren, a Cumming, GA resident, has been selected as the new Vice Wing Commander of the 165th Airlift Wing, Georgia Air National Guard.
Lt. Col. Marren previously served as the commander of the 158th Airlift Squadron and has deployed numerous times in support of the Global War on Terror as a command pilot.
Overall Rating (0)
- Mar. 2 - The Ronald McDonald House of the Coastal Empire Cornhole Tournament Set For March 11
- Dec. 2 - Chamber and LaunchSAVANNAH to host Holiday Oyster Roast Dec. 15
- Oct. 31 - Chamber Announces Rescheduled Bands in the Ballpark Event for Nov. 17
- Oct. 31 - 25th Anniversary Enmarket Savannah Bridge Run to be held Dec. 3
- Oct. 19 - SDRA to host Savannah Urbanism Series: Building Beauty in the Urban Environment on Oct. 20