Effingham / Statesboro News
Savannah Business Journal Staff Report
September 28, 2016 - Representatives from the YMCA of Coastal Georgia Association in Savannah have entered into a lease agreement with the owners of the property where the old Sallie Zetterower school was located on East Jones Avenue at Gentilly Road in Statesboro.
It is the YMCA’s intention to work with community leaders to raise support to open a YMCA in the near future that will serve Statesboro.
Over the past several years, local leaders in the Statesboro community have been working with the YMCA of Coastal Georgia to explore the possibility of the YMCA opening a branch in the Statesboro area, according to the YMCA’s leadership. A community interest survey was conducted in the summer of 2014 which indicated a strong need for a YMCA and a high level of interest and ability to open a Y in Statesboro.
This past spring, the land and buildings that make up the old Sallie Z. School campus were considered as the possible location for a YMCA. The combination of the unique location in a neighborhood setting with great accessibility, over eight acres of usable land and fifty thousand square feet of indoor space were the perfect fit for the YMCA, they state.
Working with representatives of the current owners of the property, the YMCA of Coastal Georgia was able to negotiate a long term, land lease that spans a 99-year time period. The arrangement provides the YMCA with permanency and a place to serve the community now and for generations to come, they add.
Plans for the YMCA include preserving some of the history of the school itself, and honoring the legacy of the students and teachers who once walked the halls.
“While we’ve conducted the necessary market studies and demographic analysis [to bring a YMCA to Statesboro] and place value in the results. The commitment exhibited by volunteers and officials involved with the project is an equally important indicator of future success,” according to Joel Smoker, president and CEO of the YMCA of Coastal Georgia.
“I’ve been nothing less than impressed with the folks I’ve met and their willingness to help. We plan to provide the Statesboro community with a YMCA everyone is proud to have. We are thankful to the leaders involved for having the vision to connect the YMCA to the school property – it will allow us to focus on our Mission work far sooner than I ever expected,” he added.
The YMCA of Coastal Georgia leadership is working with local volunteers to begin to raise the initial funds to open the doors of the YMCA and get the operation started. A Founder’s Campaign will soon be underway and will give community members the opportunity to become the founding donors and partners and be a part of the future of the Statesboro YMCA.
- May 4 - Effingham County Industrial Development Authority awarded Equity Grant by OneGeorgia
- Dec. 3 – Bulloch County Grand Jury indicts Statesboro City Councilman Gary Lewis for Extortion
- Aug. 4 – Effingham’s Col. Gomez new Wing Commander 165th Air Wing of Georgia Air National Guard
- Dec. 10 –Don McLemore Named Acting Vice President for the Division of Research & Economic Development at GSU
- Nov. 12 – Statesboro wins $500,000 grant from OneGeorgia Authority for economic development
- Aug. 28 - East Georgia Regional Medical Center Launches Tele-ICU with Emory
- Aug. 27 - Medient Studios, Inc. Announces Reverse Stock Split and Name Change to Moon River Studios
- Jun 18 – Eco-Friendly Go Cart Track at The Clubhouse in Statesboro Celebrates Grand Opening
- May 7 - East Georgia Regional Medical Center Places on Quality Honor Roll
- Dec. 26 - Gov. Deal Cites Medient, GM, AT&T Amongst Significant Economic Development Projects of 2013
- Dec. 4 - Andrew Young to Speak at MLK Celebration
- Nov. 29 - ERA Real Estate Identifies Statesboro as Under the Radar Relocation Market
- Nov. 14 - Georgia Southern’s College of Education Earns National Continuing Accreditation
- Entertainment Mogul Charles Kopperlman Joins Medient
- Jay Self and Local Management Team for Medient Studios Announced
- Mar. 2 - The Ronald McDonald House of the Coastal Empire Cornhole Tournament Set For March 11
- Dec. 2 - Chamber and LaunchSAVANNAH to host Holiday Oyster Roast Dec. 15
- Oct. 31 - Chamber Announces Rescheduled Bands in the Ballpark Event for Nov. 17
- Oct. 31 - 25th Anniversary Enmarket Savannah Bridge Run to be held Dec. 3
- Oct. 19 - SDRA to host Savannah Urbanism Series: Building Beauty in the Urban Environment on Oct. 20