Effingham / Statesboro News
Savannah Business Journal Staff Report
August 4, 2015 - Col. Rainer Gomez, an Effingham County resident, has taken command of the 165th Airlift Wing, Georgia Air National Guard. Col. Gomez’s new official position is Wing Commander of the 165th Airlift Wing.
“It is a privilege to be given this responsibility,” said Gomez. “This is considered to be one of the top flying units in the country and it is an honor to be selected to lead his organization.”
The 165th Airlift Wing is comprised of more than 1,150 men and women who support, maintain and fly the unit’s eight C-130H Hercules aircraft. The mission of the 165th Airlift Wing is to provide strategic and tactical airlift of personnel, equipment and supplies throughout the global sphere. The Wing is also subject to be called for assistance during state emergencies to provide food, medical supplies, equipment, and trained personnel, not only within our state and nation, but in foreign countries as well.
Col. Gomez has served as the vice wing commander since 2012. In addition, he has deployed numerous times in support of the Global War on Terror as a C-130H navigator.
He graduated from The Citadel in 1983 where he received his commission through ROTC.
Col. Gomez lives in Effingham with his wife Jan Gomez.
And, Lt. Col. James P. Marren, a Cumming, GA resident, has been selected as the new Vice Wing Commander of the 165th Airlift Wing, Georgia Air National Guard.
Lt. Col. Marren previously served as the commander of the 158th Airlift Squadron and has deployed numerous times in support of the Global War on Terror as a command pilot.
- Dec. 10 –Don McLemore Named Acting Vice President for the Division of Research & Economic Development at GSU
- Nov. 12 – Statesboro wins $500,000 grant from OneGeorgia Authority for economic development
- Aug. 28 - East Georgia Regional Medical Center Launches Tele-ICU with Emory
- Aug. 27 - Medient Studios, Inc. Announces Reverse Stock Split and Name Change to Moon River Studios
- Jun 18 – Eco-Friendly Go Cart Track at The Clubhouse in Statesboro Celebrates Grand Opening
- May 7 - East Georgia Regional Medical Center Places on Quality Honor Roll
- Dec. 26 - Gov. Deal Cites Medient, GM, AT&T Amongst Significant Economic Development Projects of 2013
- Dec. 4 - Andrew Young to Speak at MLK Celebration
- Nov. 29 - ERA Real Estate Identifies Statesboro as Under the Radar Relocation Market
- Nov. 14 - Georgia Southern’s College of Education Earns National Continuing Accreditation
- Entertainment Mogul Charles Kopperlman Joins Medient
- Jay Self and Local Management Team for Medient Studios Announced
- Georgia Southern Breaks Ground for Shooting Sports Education Center
- Parker’s Presents $3,000 Check to Effingham County Schools as Part of Fueling the Community Program
- Parker’s Opens Newest Convenience Store in Statesboro
- Oct. 28 - Savannah Area Chamber’s Fall Business Connection set for October 29
- Sept. 30 - Enmarket Presents Fourth and Final Lecture in 2015 Encourage Health Series on Oct. 27
- Sept. 16 - Inaugural Taste of the Lowcountry Scheduled for September 24
- Sept. 1 - Lucky's Market Hosts Job Fair this Wednesday, Other Events to Prepare for Opening of New Store
- Aug. 12 - Sandfly Women Business Owners Networking Group announces next meeting, to be held on Aug. 20